Anyone who is familiar with the world of fashion knows that Louis Vuitton bags are a high-demand item.
For decades, fashionistas have been buying swanky bags to flaunt their chic style.
But, are discontinued Louis Vuitton bags worth more?
Let’s look at the value of discontinued Louis Vuitton bags on the secondary market and see how they compare to their brand new counterparts.
Discontinued Louis Vuitton Bags
It’s no secret that a brand new handbag or carry-on made by the fashion powerhouse will cost you a pretty penny.
However, discontinued bags can fetch a high price on the secondary market, too, depending upon the style of bag, the popularity, etc.
Normally, a product is discontinued for several reasons, some of which may include the following.
- Lack of popularity in the market
- Making way for new designs, or…
- Simply a company may want to switch things up
But, once a product is discontinued, it may quickly become a sought-after collector’s item.
Let’s look at several Louis Vuitton bags that are popular on the secondary market and have an investment value:
Vintage Louis Vuitton Bags that May Be Worth More
- The Pallas Clutch can be worn in several ways, including a shoulder bag, crossbody and clutch. With enough room to hold your iPhone and essential accessories, this bag is still highly sought after on the secondary market.
- The Mabillon lasted only a short time, 2015-2017, but nevertheless is a highly prized bag with a crossbody strap and elegant LV Monogram canvas.
- The Tivoli was released in the early 2000s and had a nice decade-long run before being discontinued in 2014. It sports the classic LV Monogram canvas with adjustable handles.
Transacting Discontinued LV Bags
As a Seller
If you have a vintage/discontinued Louis Vuitton bag, it does not automatically mean that you can sell it for thousands of dollars more than you bought it.
There are market dynamics that can determine if a discontinued bag is worth more or not.
For example, if the bag you have was discontinued because it wasn’t selling well or not popular enough, then it may not be worth more.
However, if the bag was in high demand just before it was stocked, you may have gold on hand.
So, these are the things you want to consider if you have a discontinued Louis Vuitton handbag you want to sell.
As the Buyer
The dynamics mentioned above also apply here.
If you want to buy Louis Vuitton handbags that have expired just to have the name on your bags, then you are likely not going to want to pay more.
While they may not be plenty in the market, you can certainly find affordable LV bags.
However, you may have to look well before you can get one.
But, if you’re a collector, you want to look for rare, unique, and queer LV handbags.
Some of these are only a few in the entire world.
So getting them is going to mean some prestige even if you aren’t wearing the bags out. Again, this might take a little more research to find the right one.
Final Words on Vintage LV Bags
So, in answer to the question, are discontinued LV bags worth more?
Yes and no. Like everything else, it will depend on the condition, style and demand.
But there is a good chance that your Louis Vuitton bag sitting in your closet from years ago may fetch a nice price on the secondary market!