Self-care after any physical injury or fracture is as mandatory as consulting a physician.
The fifth metatarsal is the last bone at the outer side of the foot, and most fractures of the fifth metatarsal fall out at the base.
The selection of the best shoes for the 5th metatarsal fracture requires much intention and precaution.
Here we have afforded an impeccable and suitable solution not only for the 5th metatarsal fracture but also for other Metatarsal and ankle fractures, acute ankle sprains, soft tissue injuries, and stable lower leg.
Walking and even driving with a broken metatarsal or bones is a painful experience, which can be healed faster by using the best shoes.
Here are questions we answer in this guide:
- What is the metatarsal fracture symptoms?
- What is the fastest way to heal a stress fracture?
- What best shoes should I wear for a metatarsal fracture?
- What is a fifth metatarsal fracture surgery?
And for more information, including reviews, read this article to the end.
Plus clicking to buy any of the leading-quality products for healing the 5th metatarsal means sweet and ample smiles on your face since they make life easy for you.
Here is our list for best fracture shoes:
- BraceAbility Closed Toe Medical Walking Shoe [Amazon.com]
- United Ortho Short Air Cam Walker Fracture Boot [Amazon.com]
- Vive Post Op Medical Shoe [Amazon.com]
Also, scroll down for GUIDE/Answers to questions like:
- Can I take my walking boot off to sleep?
- What are the symptoms after the 5th metatarsal fracture?
- How much does a 5th metatarsal fracture take time to heal?
- Is it legal to drive with fractured foot shoes on your foot?
- How much does a 5th metatarsal fracture take time to heal?
- Is it legal to drive with fractured foot shoes on your foot?
What to Look for When Choosing 5th Metatarsal Fracture Shoes
Well! The agony of fractured foo makes it hard to get the best remedy.
So for your ease, we have added some fruitful information regarding metatarsal fracture or any other injury in the foot.
- Choosing suitable shoes initially depends upon your type of fracture or injury in the foot or ankle, which must also heal the pain at the base of the 5th metatarsal.
- Pneumatic featured boots are absolute for swelling control, reducing pain, enhancing healing time, and increasing stabilization by inflating an air bladder.
- Closed boots are preferable if you are advised to keep your feet warm to save injury or fractured areas from infection.
- While if doctors suggested providing breath and wide space which is usually needed after foot swelling then open shoes are best.
- For a fracture in all foot metatarsals and post-operative surgery, short walking boots are highly suggested.
- Choosing shoes featured with cushioning is awesome and for more cushioning, the outer sole should also have a kind of gel or fluid that reduces pressure, particularly in the 5th metatarsal of the weak foot.
- Steps to putting on and taking off shoes must be easy.
- Short walking shoes are also worthy for soft tissue trauma
- Must have air cells for good fitting.
- Better to measure your foot first before ordering the best-sized shoe.
- The shoe liner must be cushioned and shock-absorbing.
Best Shoes For 5th Metatarsal Fracture
1: Vive Post Op Shoe – Lightweight Medical Walking Boot
It is another well-engineered product used to heal and comfort fractured bones and foot injuries.
For extra length and protection, it is highly recommended.
Like responsible companies, Vive products are inspired by their customer needs. Vive gives credence to quality over quantity only offering what is proven to best suit your needs.
- Versatile design, easy to put on
- A rigid shoe bottom keeps the foot flat and safe
- You can use it while driving
- The non-skid tread for extra stability
- Ideal for post-surgery wear
- Lightweight square toe design
- Open shoe design to allow breathing plus active healing
- May not be ideal for ankle assistance.
2: BraceAbility Short Broken Toe
Mars Wellness represents another Excellent Medical Boot For kids, which is high in quality and rich in foot and ankle support, according to many parents’ reviews Sizing guidelines are very accurate.
Buy without hesitation.
- Clinically proven to protect & treat for 5th metatarsal fracture.
- Surprisingly lightweight and has a low profile
- It is 11 inches tall and has uprights that are reinforced with metal
- Maybe lacking cushion in the arch.
3: United Surgical Short Air Cam Walker Fracture Boot
Emerged in 1978 United Ortho has now prevailed as the manufacturer of orthopedic bracing throughout the United States.
Without any compromise on value, quality, and service the well-known company shells out well standard products designed with durability, comfort, and function in mind.
Well appreciated by customers as per size, fitting, comfort, quality, price, and support, United Ortho proudly displays United surgical short air cam walker, the best Shoes For 5th Metatarsal Fracture especially best shoes for jones fracture.
- Durable materials and construction foot flat and safe
- Suitable for bunions.
- Easy to follow-cam boot instructions.
- Keep feet straight (no bending) while your ankle bends for more normal.
- Plastic molded uprights with steel support boost durability.
- Super thick sole helps to avoid any jerk.
- Sizing may be a little off
- Air valves could be more enduring
4: Superior Braces Low Top, Low Profile Boot
Award-Winning Customer Service SuperiorBraces come up with a full line of premium discount orthopedic soft products including braces, splints, foot care orthotics, and compression hosiery.
Through the energetic company of physicians, physical therapists, and medical suppliers the SuperiorBraces is the culmination of over 20 years of deep research and buildout in the orthopedic.
Its corporate goal is customer 100% satisfaction. Vital to note that they only make the pink liner boot in the low top size.
- Lightweight, low profile design
- Better line pneumatic (air pump and liner bladder) protective boot
- Desirable stability and shock absorbing
- Pretty good quality with beautiful pink
- Be careful while sizing
5: Orthotronix Closed-Toe Short Air Cam Walker Boot
Orthotronix is a first-rate industrialist and supplier of braces, supports, and splints to doctors, Podiatrists, Individuals.
Striving with a mission “ to develop, design, and manufacture quality products and related services to the home care market with efficiency, consistency, and innovation.”
Weather stuck due to metatarsal fracture or relating to any other, you desire to get back to work faster than following walking shoes is ideal because its design meets OSHA standards for the workplace.
- Closed-toe design meets OSHA standards for the workplace.
- Quite light-weighted
- Removable toe guard suitable for coverage and the added protection of the foot and toes.
- Fits very well and the sole is well padded.
- Top Velcro may cause a problem, ask about it from the seller first
6: Aircast SP (Short Pneumatic)
Along with Air Cast, a little bulb is provided that’s actually a fairly sophisticated hand pump to inflate different sections of the interior of the shoes.
The little pump is used to customize the perfect fit which is remarkable in the early days of healing following surgery. You want your foot to be ‘snugly comfortable’.
Pneumatic means “containing or operated by air or gas under pressure.” Actually its interior and adjustable air cell are individually inflated for “total contact” fit and give secure support to the broken metatarsal.
For more than 30 years, medical experts worldwide have relied on Aircast for patient care. Aircast set a new standard of care for fractures and injuries.
- You can easily drive with AIRCAST after a metatarsal fracture
- Suitable both for ankle and foot support
- Shoes are easy to fit because of air cells
- reasonably priced
- Easy to wear and put off
- This product is unreturnable for any reason.
- Relatively bulky
7: Orthowedge Forefoot Off-Loading Healing Shoe
Without a doubt, BraceAbility is true to the job, helping customers find the right product that will relieve their pain, make them feel comfortable and confident.
And allow them to get back to doing what they were doing prior to experiencing any discomfort.
Founded in 2012 Braceability has created affordable, medicine-grade supports including the best shoes for 5th metatarsal fracture.
It is vital to keep weight off the affected area to promote healing of the metatarsal fracture, so buying this shoe would be a healthy solution.
- Take the weight off the front of your foot.
- Healing would progress well.
- Good price then if you get them from a medical supply store
- Best for keeping weight off the forefoot
- Superb for diabetic patients after foot surgery for keeping the pressure off the wound.
- It is heavy overall.
- It’s a little tough to get used to while walking.
- Not prescribed if your foot injury is severe and needs a long time to heal
8: Darco APB All-Purpose Boot
After a 5th metatarsal surgery, pick the boot or walking shoes to enhance the recovery by preventing the foot from slippage and friction. Darco APB boot is manufactured for such protection.
Its ankle strap and closed-toe design provide safety and warmth to the toes and keep the dressing dry.
It is suitable for both the fiberglass cast and bulky dressing. A perfect fit and square toe design protect the toes just like a bumper. If you hit something, your toes won’t touch or jolt.
The outsole provides support, with an aggressive tread, to the midfoot and improves traction. Even with a bulky wrap and socks, your toes will get ample space to wiggle around.
Although it is far better than the regular walking boot, we strongly recommend consulting your physician before buying this boot. It is described as unisex but a wide toe box can cause a problem for a slim lady’s foot.
So keep in mind the width of the foot along with the bulky dressing for a better fit.
Fifth Metatarsal Fracture Surgery
Fifth metatarsal fracture is treated mostly without surgery but in severe cases, surgery is essential for healing the bone in an accurate position.
After surgery bones take less time of immobilization to heal as compared to non-surgical treatment.
Avulsion fractures are generally upshot of an ankle rotation and cause an ankle sprain. So doesn’t require surgery but may be treated with a cast or hard-soled shoes or boots.
Surgery is also not desirable for fractures with infection and severely damaged soft tissues and if the bone is not displaced.
However, Jones fractures are acute ones and occur in places that receive less blood and are prone to troubles in healing.
Midshaft fractures, and fractures of the metatarsal head and neck, have a high chance to delay in healing and reinjury as well.
- THE RICE METHOD (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) must be performed until you see a surgeon.
- Bone stimulation is the most common non-surgical technique used for Jones fractures when immobilization provides inadequate results.
If non-surgical treatment is failed, these surgical techniques are used:
- In Intramedullary screw fixation, a screw is placed through the marrow cavity of the fifth metatarsal to the shaft that protects and compresses the fractured bone.
- Another notch is the bone substitute that may be required over the fracture to insert the bone graft in a chronic fracture that has failed non-operative treatment.
Precautions Before and After Surgery:
- Avoid eating or drinking anything after midnight, the night before your surgery.
- Stop using any anti-inflammatory medications, especially aspirin, as it leads to extra bleeding while surgery.
- Stop smoking or at least reduce it as it would decrease the risk of infection, improve healing, and lessen the complications.
- Use crutches to walk and avoid putting weight on the injured foot after surgery.
- Elevate your foot above heart level for four to five days after surgery.
- Eight to ten weeks after surgery you would be able to bear your weight and back to normal footwear.
- Don’t do what hurts is the point to keep in mind and weight-bearing exercises are desirable to adapt.
- Make stretching and strengthening exercise your habit.
- Pick the shoes with proper shape and support.
- Your shoes must have good shock absorption in the heel, good flexibility, and sturdy materials.
- If your surgeon has advised orthotic inserts, you must go for one of the best shoes for the fifth metatarsal fracture.
For a couple of weeks after surgery, you should not bear weight at all but after that, you may, only on heels not in front of the foot for almost six months.
After that, you can walk in removable walking boots. Bone graft surgery takes a longer time to recover.
In the case of nonunion or no heal, another surgery or bone graft is required.
The ratio of nonunion is 15 to 20 percent. 7.9 million fractures occur every year in the USA, 5–10% of them develop nonunion and/or delayed unions.
With a fractured foot, it is hard to remain in a sitting or lay down position for a long time. So, better to get supportive, and well-engineered fracture metatarsal shoes for quick healing and making life comfortable.
But selecting a suitable shoe for the purpose of yourself searching can lead you to buy the best shoe for 5th metatarsal shoes.
Frequently Asked Q/A
Q1: Can I take my walking boot off to sleep?
Ans: Yes you can but with the straps loosened for optimal comfort. Place pillows or cushions around the fractured foot or leg to reduce any shock.
Q2: What are the symptoms after the 5th metatarsal fracture?
Ans: Distinct sound at the time of fracture, agile pain and tenderness around the fractured area.’ pinpoint pain, fractured bleed, swelling, hassle in putting weight on the injured foot, ongoing pain on the edge of the foot
Q3: How much does a 5th metatarsal fracture take time to heal?
Ans: Usually, a metatarsal fracture takes full healing takes 6-8 weeks
Q4: Is it legal to drive with fractured foot shoes on your foot?
Ans: Yes and no, as it’s not specifically illegal to drive with a fractured leg or foot, but if a doctor advises you not to drive then you legally cannot.
Q5: What do the best shoes do for a broken foot?
ANS: The best shoe for 5th metatarsal fracture is a sort of medical shoe used to shield the foot and ankle after an injury or surgery.
The shoes can be used for broken bones, tendon injuries, severe sprains, or shin splints. It can keep your weight off an area, such as your toe, as it heals.
Q6: How painful is a 5th metatarsal fracture?
Ans: Symptoms may include: Pain, swelling, bruising, or tenderness that happens right after the injury, usually on the outer side of the foot.
Q7: How much does a walking shoe cost?
Ans: It depends but radically walking boot price varies around $45.97 – $444.83